Friday, March 27, 2015

Author Interview Series: Writers’ Quirks Featuring John Romanos

Today on Writers' Quirks I'm interviewing John Romanos, author of Shallow Graves.

Welcome, John. I have a few quirky questions for you...

Have you ever fallen in love with one of your characters?
I can’t say that I have. I love them in the sense that I’m proud of them and want to know more about them (which I slowly learn while writing), but “in love” might be saying a bit much.

What is the best place for dreaming up your storylines?
Anywhere with atmosphere. A rainy day, a candlelit room, a forest, the ocean… And especially one of those dusty, hole in the wall
book stores where you can get lost behind the stacks and come out reeking of old books.

I'm a big fan of musty bookstores myself. What is your favorite snack while writing?
Anything that doesn’t make noise. If my dogs hear me eating something, I won’t get anything done.

How do you feel about pen names?
They have their place in the world. Since I’m very unknown at this point, and I don’t write anything that might be objectionable to anyone I care about, I don’t see any need for one at the moment.

What is the most not-true-to-self writing or marketing idea you’ve considered (or done!)?
Marketing in general. Self-promotion is hard for me because I don’t like ego and I feel uncomfortable proclaiming that anything I write is worthy other people’s time. They should be the ones to make that decision. But it must be done, and the positive feedback I’ve received from everyone has made me feel more comfortable in promoting myself.

How are your books different than the millions of other books?
I can’t think of any other plot or character that is very similar to the ones in Shallow Graves.  I based the story on song lyrics that my friend wrote, and I think he did a very good job of coming up with something interesting and unique. Also, I think my writing style (whatever that may be) might be different from a lot of other people’s because I never really “learned” how to write. I never took writing classes or anything, and I think that my lack of technical knowledge has helped me create something a little different.

Sounds interesting. What one question has no one asked you about your book/character/writing life that you wish they would?
May I give you a back massage while you write?

Ha! Nice try, but I'm not falling for it. If someone else were to ask you that, how would you answer?
Yes you may.

Too funny, John! Where would you like people to connect with you online?
My Facebook page or my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment