Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Author Interview Series: Writers’ Quirks Featuring R.D. Sherrill

Today on Writers' Quirks, I'm talking with R.D. Sherrill.

Thanks for joining us, R.D. Tell us about your latest project.
Friday Night Frights, which is my third, begins the Jack and Ashley Detective series. The book follows a criminal profiler with the Texas Rangers who is on the trail of a serial killer that is murdering his victims at football games. She has to team up with a sexist, egotistical FBI agent to catch the killer before the coming Friday or another victim dies.

Have you ever fallen in love with one of your characters? 
A couple of my heroines have been based on my dream girls so I
guess you could say they are a manifestation of me falling in love.

What is the best place for dreaming up your storylines? 
I get all my inspiration by sitting in my hot tub at night. Then, full of fresh ideas and chlorine, I sit on my front porch and write them. Although, the idea for my first novel, Red Dog Saloon, came to me during a sermon at church on Sunday morning.

What is your favorite snack while writing? 
Lite beer and Skittles

How do you feel about pen names? 
My pen name is very close to my own. I go by R.D. Sherrill which is code for my real name - Roger Duane Sherrill. Everyone calls me Duane, except for my dentist who calls me Roger for some reason. What am I to do while he’s sticking sharp objects in my mouth?

What is the most not-true-to-self writing or marketing idea you’ve considered (or done!)? 
I once left hundreds of business cards around Dallas Stadium during the NCAA final four last year, hoping sports fans would find the cards and have an epiphany and buy my books. My publicist was furious since she is a huge Captain Planet girl and considered it a waste of paper and an insult to Mother Nature.

How are your books different than the millions of other books? 
I like playing a game of mental chess with my readers, putting in just enough clues to give them a fighter’s chance of guessing who did it but, at the end of the day, very few have guessed correctly. I like to have that Cracker Jack moment in every book where you find that toy surprise.

What one question has no one asked you about your book/character/writing life that you wish they would? 
Are any of my book characters modeled after me?

So, are any of your book characters modeled after you
Yes, of course.

Where would you like people to connect with you online? 
Twitter @RDSherrillBooks or my Facebook page.

Thanks for stopping by, Duane!

Friday Night Frights by R.D. Sherril is now available.

No comments:

Post a Comment