Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Author Interview Series: Writers’ Quirks Featuring H.R.B. Collotzi

Today on Writers' Quirks, I'm interviewing H.R.B. Collotzi, author of The Secret of Avonoa.

What are you currently working on? 
The Shadow of Avonoa (Book Number Two in Avonoa Series)

Have you ever fallen in love with one of your characters? 
No, but there are definitely some I could be attracted to. Oddly enough, those characters would probably be dragons.

What is the best place for dreaming up your storylines? 
The shower. Maybe this is TMI,
but most of my inspiration comes between soap suds.

What is your favorite snack while writing? 
Chewy Sweet Tarts, Dove chocolates and/or hot chocolate, depending on the season.

How do you feel about pen names? 
I love names, in any form. In this age of information it’s a little difficult to “hide” behind a pen name, but if someone wants to use something fun or different, have at it. I personally use my first initials as my pen name because (like J.K. Rowling) I don’t want any bias before the book is read.

What is the most not-true-to-self writing or marketing idea you’ve considered (or done!)? 
Tweeting book promos to celebrities. It feels desperate and a little weird. I won’t say if I’ve done it or not…

How are your books different than the millions of other books? Two words…dragon perspective. I’ve had many people comment on how cool it is to read my book from the perspective of a dragon. Even with a mediocre review, everyone still loves the viewpoint. Which is cool, because it’s somewhat difficult to write, so it’s nice to be appreciated.

What one question has no one asked you about your book/character/writing life that you wish they would? 
Do you like your antagonist(s)?

So, do you like your antagonist(s)? 
Yes, I feel for them. As a writer, I have to dive into a deep, dark place in my psyche to write a good “bad guy”. I tend to grow a bond with them over their misguided goals. I probably feel more pity for them than the protagonist.

Where would you like people to connect with you online? 
My Facebook page or my website.

H.R.B., thanks for stopping by!

H.R.B.'s book Secret Avonoa is now available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment