Monday, April 20, 2015

Author Interview Series Writers’ Quirks Featuring Wendy May Andrews

Today on Writers' Quirks, I'm chatting with author Wendy May Andrews. Thanks for joining us, Wendy! 

Tell us about your latest project.
My latest book released March 17, 2015. It’s a Sweet Regency Romance, The Duke Conspiracy. It’s about childhood best friends whose relationship has been torn apart by a family feud. He goes on to become a duke while she does some spying for her diplomat father before making her debut in London society. While at a party she overhears two men plotting against the duke. She struggles between loyalty to their old friendship and her aversion to him because of the feud. Finally she tells him and together they must foil the plot.

That sounds fabulous! Excuse me while I go download my copy... okay, I'm back.

Now for some quirky questions…
Have you ever fallen in love with one of your characters? 
Of course! I love all my characters, but I’m half in love with my
heroes before I even write them. Once, though, I wrote a hero that I named after my husband. By the end of the book I decided I didn’t love him (the character) enough to leave him with that name (my husband’s) so I had to change it… 

What is the best place for dreaming up your storylines? 
Anywhere works for me. Just before I fall asleep, while I’m out for a walk, while watching the news… 

What is your favorite snack while writing? 
I have a real weakness for dill pickle chips. But then I need to go for another walk as I don’t want to be shaped like a dill pickle… 

Ha! You're funny! How do you feel about pen names? 
I think they can be a very useful tool, especially for anyone who writes in multiple genres, or has a reason for wishing for anonymity. 

What is the most not-true-to-self writing or marketing idea you’ve considered (or done!)? 
I’m too new to marketing to have any great stories but I actually find that the entire marketing idea is not true to me – approaching strangers and trying to convince them of something is not anywhere near my comfort zone. I would love to stay in my writing den, sitting at my computer, writing more books. But the good news is, everyone I have encountered so far has been gracious, kind, and generous with their words of wisdom and support so it hasn’t been too terribly painful of an experience. 


How are your books different than the millions of other books? 
One major difference is that they are “clean” or “sweet” which is quite rare for a Regency nowadays. If you’re reading it on the bus, you have no need to be embarrassed if anyone reads over your shoulder. My books are designed for good, light-hearted entertainment. I hope my readers will arrive at the end with a happy sigh. 

What one question has no one asked you about your book/character/writing life that you wish they would? 
This was very hard to narrow down, there are tons of things no one has asked, but I think I wish someone would ask me how I feel about writing. 

How do you feel about writing? 
I love to write. I am an avid reader and writing comes very close to being as enjoyable. I am not one of those writers that feel the characters tell me their stories. I am very much Queen of the World when I am writing and can make my characters do whatever I’d like. It is a very heady feeling. 

Where would you like people to connect with you online? 
On Facebook, Twitter or my website. 

Your books sound wonderful and you've been fun to interview! Thanks for visiting my blog, Wendy! 

Wendy's latest book The Duke Conspiracy is available now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Wendy and Keely,

    That is so funny about your husband's namesake losing the "privilege" of sharing his name because he turned out to be nastier than you planned! Something similar happened to me with one of the main characters in my "Spanners Series," whom I intended to be lovable and likable but whom many readers disliked intensely. My sister even asked me: "Why are you so angry at this character?" That was a shocker!

    We just don't always know where our characters will go, do we?

    Best to you!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete