Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Author Interview Series: Writers’ Quirks Featuring Ines Bautista-Yao

I'm interviewing Ines Bautista-Yao today on Writers’ Quirks. Ines is the author of Only A Kiss. Welcome, Ines! Let's jump right in to the quirky questions...

Have you ever fallen in love with one of your characters?
Maybe a little bit.

What is the best place for dreaming up your storylines? 
In the shower! It’s the one place I can be alone without the kids demanding my attention.

What is your favorite snack while writing? 
I don’t snack while writing. Ugh. What a boring answer! I don’t like getting crumbs on my computer. But if I were to snack on
anything, it would definitely be potato chips or French fries!

How do you feel about pen names? 
It’s actually more freeing to write when you’re hiding behind a pen name (I know because I’ve used one before for feature writing). But when you aren’t, I believe you work even harder because it’s your real name on the line.

What is the most not-true-to-self writing or marketing idea you’ve considered (or done!)?
I almost edited an erotica book. I already met with the account executive who was going to pitch the idea to his client and I already talked to the author. She gave me names of authors and asked whose work I thought she could pattern hers after (I guess in terms of heat levels?) and I had no idea who they were—or what “heat levels” were, for that matter. Thank goodness it did not push through! I don’t think I would have done a good job anyway haha! 

How are your books different than the millions of other books?
First of all, my books are set in the Philippines and my main characters are Filipino. So that already cuts down a large number of books out there. However, because my characters are very real and their emotions are so raw, anyone can relate to them. I’ve been told that because of this, some readers actually feel a sort of separation anxiety when they put the book down because they won’t be seeing or hanging out with them anymore.

What one question has no one asked you about your book/character/writing life that you wish they would?
Which one of my male characters is my favorite?

So, which one of your male characters is your favorite?
This is actually very hard to answer because when I write my male leads, I fall a teensy bit in love with each one of them. This is why I believe your first question is so apt—especially since I write sweet romance. But if I were to really think about it, and if I were a character in my stories, I would definitely go for Rob in One Crazy Summer. I don’t know what it was about him that just won me over. The funny thing is, (Spoiler alert!) he isn’t even the one who ends up with the girl! She falls for him big time in the beginning, then
she realizes she’s caught between him and his best friend. She chooses his best friend, but there’s something about Rob that even my readers like. Maybe I didn’t give him to my main character because I wanted him for myself! Haha!

Where would you like people to connect with you online?
My Facebook page or my website.

Thanks so much for joining us, Ines!

Ines latest release Only a Kiss is now available.

No comments:

Post a Comment