Friday, April 24, 2015

Author Interview Series: Writers’ Quirks Featuring Heidi McCahan


Today I'm interviewing author Heidi McCahan. Heidi and I were once signed to the same publisher and she's always a joy to interact with.

Welcome, Heidi! What have you been working on lately?
My second novel, Covering Home, just officially released February 10th. I’m on the home stretch of a third manuscript, also a stand alone, but I’m going to put that on the back burner so I can finish writing a sequel to my first novel. I’d love to get that sequel out later this year.

Sounds great! Now for some quirky questions...
Have you ever fallen in love with one of your characters? 
Yes! I’m still quite smitten with Blake Tully, the hero of my first novel, Unraveled. So much so that he’s already turned up in that sequel I mentioned.

What is the best place for dreaming up your storylines? 
I find inspiration when I people watch in public places. The pumpkin patch, airports and the food court at the mall are all places
I’ve thought of new storylines. If I’m stuck and can’t work out a scene, exercising or taking a shower helps me mentally process the details and usually I can figure out what I need to write next to work things out.

What is your favorite snack while writing? 
It’s really cold here right now (well, cold for the South), so I’m drinking a lot of coffee and occasionally enjoying a cookie. Most of the time, it’s Diet Coke and pretzels or Wheat Thins. I’m addicted to that sweet and salty combo.

I'm a big fan of the sweet/salty combo myself. How do you feel about pen names? 
Well, I use one, so I guess I love the idea. It’s purely for my own amusement and definitely not a secret. I just always dreamed of using a pen name and when the opportunity arose, I went with it. I wrote three novellas last year as a ghost writing project and the name on the covers of those books isn’t anything close to mine. That takes some getting used to. But I loved writing the stories, so it’s all good.

Ghost writing? Look who's full of secrets! So, what is the most not-true-to-self writing or marketing idea you’ve considered (or done!)? 
I never thought I’d do any ghostwriting. But it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up and I’m grateful for the experience. Freelance writing has always appealed to me and it’s a great source of income, which helps fund future novel releases.

How are your books different than the millions of other books? 
So far I’ve written two novels with unique settings: a fictional town in Alaska and Japan. I’m also writing clean reads that incorporate sports, which is a bit of departure from some sports fiction. Typically, the sports fiction genre can be a bit steamy. Also, I read an article in The Writer magazine recently that stated there are very few novels with a successful female athlete as the heroine. My current work-in-progress features a world class female snowboarder. I’m pretty excited about that. And I’m not even a snowboarder.

Yeah, your storylines totally rock. 
What one question has no one asked you about your book/character/writing life that you wish they would? 
No one has asked me how many books I intend to write.

So, how many books do you intend to write?
My goal is to publish ten novels, preferably at the rate of two a year.
 
And I believe you can do it! 
Where you’d like people to connect with you online?
I really enjoy Instagram and would love to interact with more people there. You can find me as @heidimccahan or visit my website.

Awesome! Thanks for stopping by today! 

Heidi's latest release Covering Home is available now.

1 comment: