Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Author Interview Series: Writers’ Quirks Featuring Charissa Dufour

Today on Writers' Quirks, I'm interviewing author Charissa Dufour. 

Thanks for joining me, Charissa! Let's get to some quirky questions....

Have you ever fallen in love with one of your characters? 
In my book Torn, a medieval fantasy, I’m completely enamored with Sir Erin Caldry. He is a ruthless man, with the skills of a true warrior. Perhaps the reason I love him so is that I know how the story ends. Though my readers haven’t gotten to see his arch, I know what it will be. And boy is he worth loving by the end of the story. I hope that doesn’t give too much away!

What is the best place for dreaming up your storylines?
It is so aggravating. I get my best ideas as
I’m lying in bed, just about to fall asleep. I’m a big advocate of sleep, so sadly I don’t immediately give up and write the idea down. I fall asleep hoping I’ll remember the brilliant idea come morning. I never do. Hopefully they were only good in sleep-befuddled brain.

What is your favorite snack while writing? 
Dunkin Donuts. “Charissa runs on Dunkin.” I’m ashamed to say yesterday I ate three. Thankfully they don’t deliver, otherwise I’d be the size of a cargo ship. I also drink a lot of coffee. Caffeine fuels my writing.

How do you feel about pen names?
Though I do not use one, I can see the purpose. I can only hope someday I regret not using a pen name due to all my crazy fans. I also understand that some authors write in multiple and conflicting genres. If I wrote romance novels, as well as my urban fantasy novels, I would be using a pen name for the romance novels.

What is the most not-true-to-self writing or marketing idea you’ve considered (or done!)?
I have seriously considered writing sexy romance novels cause let’s face it, sex sells. I just wanted something out there purely for the sake of making money, money to support my bad writing habits. In the end, I decided to focus all my creative energy on writing the good stuff.
Good decision! How are your books different than the millions of other books?
Of course they’re different: I wrote them! I’m kidding!
I think there is very little new in this world, it is just a rehash of something else. Very, very seldom does an original story emerge into this wide world. I include my own fiction in that statement. After writing Torn, and being madly in love with my own work, I realized it was really just the story of the Prodigal Son from the Bible. The best part is, I don’t mind. So long as the story is worth telling, I don’t mind it being retold.

Where would you like people to connect with you online?
My Facebook page.

Thanks for stopping by, Charissa!



No comments:

Post a Comment