Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Moving Wasn't Normal Then

I love to make lists. I find lists fun to make and comforting when completed. I was thinking today of all the moving my family did while I was growing up. Sometimes we lived in a town for a year and a half, sometimes six weeks. Realizing that I attended 14 different schools before college, not including two years of homeschooling, I thought making a list of my moving adventures would be a challenge.

Let's see...
Born in St. Joseph, Missouri then...
Tucson, Arizona...
Cypress, California...
Tucson, Arizona...
Maryville, Missouri (a farmhouse near there anyway)...
Phoenix, Arizona...
Tucson, Arizona... (two houses)
Topeka, Kansas... (two houses)
Maryville, Missouri...
St. Joseph, Missouri...
Port Neches, Texas...
Clovis, New Mexico...
Lafayette, Louisiana... (two houses)
Paducah, Kentucky...
Houma, Louisiana...
Hendersonville, Tennessee...

Then, I chose to spend a year as an exchange student to Australia. After two more long-term stays in Australia, I've made 12 moves as an adult, but in the same general area, so that's not as fun to list.

The best part of moving as a kid was by far setting up my new room. The best part about moving as an adult is by far setting up my new place. I love where I'm at now and prefer to never move again. Maybe I'll just rearrange the furniture when the newness wears off!

No comments:

Post a Comment